Clinical pathology involves the laboratory evaluation of blood, fluids or body tissues in order to identify existing disease. Common laboratory tests include:
- Blood tests to evaluate organs, blood cells,and clotting times.
- Urine samples are analysed for abnormalities in the urinary tract.
- Faecal tests for parasites.
- Biopsy examination of masses and skin lesions.
- Cultures and infectious disease testing.
The 4 Paws Vet clinics in Kirwan, Condon and Deeragun are equipped with an in-house laboratory that allows our veterinarians to quickly perform many of these diagnostic tests to achieve an accurate and rapid diagnosis. This is especially important in very ill animals and those requiring immediate or emergency treatment. We can also undertake blood tests on the day of surgery to make sure they are well enough for an anaesthetic. Some more specialised tests may need to be performed by an external veterinary laboratory.
Our in-house laboratory can provide results within minutes. Specialised testing may take 24 hours for blood results or up to 14 days for biopsy results, depending on the nature of the test being performed. Ask your veterinarian when to call for your pet’s laboratory results.